Monday, October 5, 2009

Doing it a little differently today because I couldn't get onto the blog earlier when the newsletter was going out...so the winner this week (randomly generated, numer 6) is an anonymous person...who said "I collect flipflop decos of anykind anyone who knows me knows i am a flip flop nut, I also collect pens pink ones mostly but they have to write smoothly, i would have to say i collect pocket books and shoes or is that more of a fetish i collect lenox ornaments ,snowmen,

I have posted a photo of next week's prize in the newsletter, along with this week's question..here is what I wrote..."So...suddenly, I have a technology glitch..cannot get ot my blog site...so I am posting next week's prize and question here for now, and I will get it onto the blog as son as I can. Here is the prize: it is a set of the new Tim Holtz Christmas stamps, unmounted. And here is the question: What are you reading right now?? and can you give us the names of 3 or 4 books you have really loved and would recommend to all...(see, I always add more than just a simple question...) I'll post my own answer on the blog...love to see what everyone else says...just post a response at the bottom of the blog entry (once I get it going again) and I will randomly choose, by entry number, a winner for the stamp set. " Now, here is my answer...right now, reading Sarah's Key, for my book group ( we read The Help last month...also good)...all time favorites would have to be One Hundred Years of Solitude ( a little hard to get into, but well worth it)..also, A Prayer for Owen Meany, and probably #1--East of Eden...Now let's hear from you.

12 comments:

  1. HAHA I am first, not that I am competitive or anything but first is fun. i am reading Between Friends by Debbie Macomber. I have read several of her books with sequels such as Blossom Street and A Good Yarn. Also a good book, better than the move, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picolot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (I've read all his books). I also have read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown and Tribute by Nora Roberts. I like anything by Sandra Brown or Nora Roberts.
    Lea N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately with elementary age kids I don't have much free reading time. I have been reading the entire Harry Potter series to my kids though. We are on book 6 ( half blood prince). We were hoping to finish it before the movie came out but alas, the summer got away from us and we missed many nights. So after this it will be the movie and then onto book 7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading "The Song of the Lark" by Willa Cather. I picked it up used because I have never read Cather and now have several of her other books on my library waitlist. It's wonderfully written.

    My three (current) favorite books are:

    "The People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks - incredible story that winds through centuries and across continents
    "The Secret Scripture" by Sebastian Barry - hauntingly beautiful mystery story
    "The Uncommon Reader" by Alan Bennett - the funniest book I've ever read about Queen Elizabeth discovering the joys of reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading the sequal to a year on Lady Bug Farm by Donna Ball it is At Home on Lady Bug Farm. Story of 3 women who buy an old house together and fix it up much to the chagrin of their grown children.
    Diane
    MA

    ReplyDelete
  6. heavy sigh ..... currently no time to read! =( how sad! when I do read I like reading mysteries and fun stuff, like Harry Potter ... Thanks for the fun!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Currently reading
    'The Hidden Family'- book 2 of the Merchant Princes series. Just read/reread the entire Harry Potter series after seeing the most recent movie. Loved "The Historian". Looking forward to reading "The American Painter Emma Dial".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big fan of Linda Greenlaw - she is known mostly for being a Swordfisherman - she was depicted in the movie "The Perfect Storm". I just finished reading her 2 mysteries - and I am not a mystery person but since she wrote them I had to give them a shot. I loved them both "Slipknot" and "Fisherman's Bend" (both named after nautical knots)She writes about the local fishing industry on the coast of New England which always reminds me of home.
    Pretty much anything else I have read recently has had rhyming words and lift the flap pages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am currently reading "The Day The Falls Stood Still" by Cathy Marie Buchanan. i just returned from a vacation in Toronto/ Niagara Falls area. I love to read books of places I have visited! but my all time favorite books are the Harry Potter Series!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right now I'm reading 7 Up by Janet Evanovich. She has a series of very funny novels about a woman that's become a bounty hunter. I love to read anything written by James Patterson. A fabulous mystery writer. His Alex Cross series is the best. Also I love the book Cane River. It's about the slavery days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse series about vampires. It seems everyone is reading or has read these so I figured I would jump on the bandwagon while I had time to read.
    Pride and Prejudice is a favorite... and anything that James Rollins writes....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love books! Faves of the past year: Khaled Hosseini's A thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner; Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea; just finished Mitch Albom's For One More Day; my heavier reading is: Pamela Weintraub's Cure Unknown--inside the Lyme Epidemic (need I say more?!); that book requires lighter reading to interrupt it so I'm also reading AJ Jacobs' The Know It All (laugh-out-loud book about a guy who decides he's going to read the entire Encylcopedia Britanica {something I once contemplated}) and my next read is Cami Walker's 29 Gifts--How a month of giving can change your life.

    ReplyDelete